I must have been Italian in one of my past lives, as I absolutely adore pasta. Fusilli, capellini, spaghetti, vermicelli – I love them all! This recipe takes about an hour to make and it’s so delicious. One portion is hardly enough, but do your best to pace yourself (talking to myself here…). Anyway, let’s get to it and let me know in the comment section if you’ve tried it
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 250gr whole wheat fusilli
- 1 pepper(red or yellow)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 5 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 500gr mushrooms
- 3tbs olive oil
- 5 sundried tomatoes
- 8-10 ripe cherry tomatoes
- 10tbs tomato passata
- Start by cutting the mushrooms into medium-sized slices and finely chopping all vegetables
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan for about 3-4 minutes until hot
- Throw the mushrooms into the sauce pan over the hot olive oil and let them cook for approx. 15 minutes at medium to high heat until all the water they release evaporates.
- In the meanwhile, boil the pasta until al dente, according to the instructions on the pack. When ready, drain and set aside.
- Back to the pasta sauce: add the chopped pepper, onion and garlic. Give it a good stir and let them simmer for 10 more minutes at medium heat.
- Add the chopped cherry tomatoes, stir and let them simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the sundried tomatoes & tomato passata and let them cook for 5 more minutes, then turn off the heat and season with sea salt and oregano.
- Combine the pasta and the sauce, stir and serve with parmesan and fresh basil leaves, or just as it is
Mushrooms are high in selenium, which is a mineral that helps detoxify the liver, prevents inflammation and decreases tumor growth rates. The vitamin D in mushrooms has the capacity to inhibit the growth of cancer cells and the folate prevents the formation of cancer cells, while the potassium and vitamin C contribute to cardiovascular health.
Whole wheat pasta, such as fusilli, is rich in fiber which plays a role in lowering cholesterol levels. Being rich in carbohydrates, whole wheat pasta is a great source of energy for your muscles, nervous system and red blood cells.