This is great as a main course or even a side dish. It goes well with nearly any kind of salad you can imagine and it’s so filling. The curry chickpeas with brown rice is my top of the list dish when I have guests as it looks so appetizing.
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 cans of organic chickpeas in water (400 grams per can)
- 1 can of organic pealed & chopped tomatoes (400 grams)
- 1 cup of brown rice (250 grams)
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 1 table spoon of turmeric powder
- 1 table spoon of mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 liter of boiling water
Brazil Nuts to serve (optional)
- Start by boiling 1 liter of water in a sauce pan. Once the water is boiling, add in the rice and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Let the rice boil for 20-25 minutes until well cooked.
- Separately, put 3 table spoons of olive oil in a sauce pan and let it heat for about 3 minutes. Add the chopped onion and let it cook until it turns golden (approx 2-3 minutes) stirring occasionally.
- Drain the chickpeas and add them to the onions, then add the curry and the turmeric powder, stirring them all together until the chickpeas become yellowish.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes. Let the chickpeas and tomatoes simmer for 10-15 minutes until the chickpeas are soft but not mushy.
- Taste the rice to make sure it’s well boiled, then drain it and add it to the curry chickpeas. Stir, season with sea salt and it’s ready to go.
- Serve with brazil nuts or on its own – it’s delicious either way. Enjoy and let me know what you think of this recipe by leaving a comment below.
Health Benefits: Curry powder is an Indian spice mix known to prevent cancer, protect against heart disease, ease inflammation, reduce Alzheimer’s disease symptoms and protect the immune system from bacterial infections, while chickpeas are high in fiber and rich in calcium, magnesium, zinc and vitamin K.