If Heaven was a scrumptious flavour (and I still hope it is) caramelized sweet potatoes is what it would taste like. The trick for getting this recipe right is to leave the sweet potatoes in the oven at the right temperature and long enough to get that brown coating, with crunchy skins and soft on the inside – just like my favourite people. The best thing about caramelized sweet potatoes is that you can have them with a variety of other veggies such as broccoli or kale. But that’s not all – they also go well with fish, quinoa and something as plain as a romaine salad. The possibilities are endless.
Prep time: 5 mins
- 1 large sweet potato
- 5 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- paprika & sea salt to season
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Wash the sweet potato and cut it into medium pieces – ideally, they should all be the same size to cook evenly. You don’t need to peel the potato.
- Place all pieces on a tray, pour the boiling water (just to cover the base), season and pour the olive oil evenly on the potatoes
- Roast for 30 minutes until a fork goes through easily
- Now turn up the temperature to 220°C and place the tray on a higher rack. Leave for 15 more minutes until the potatoes are brown and caramelized.
- Turn them on the other side and leave them for another 10-15 minutes to cook evenly.
- Take out of the oven and enjoy!
A powerful nutritional punch, sweet potatoes are loaded with fibre, potassium and vitamin A. Studies have shown that consuming sweet potatoes regularly can decrease the risk of diabetes, obesity and heart disease. I guess this is enough good news to add sweet potatoes to your weekly shopping list.