During the week I don’t really get enough time to cook a nice breakfast like this sweet caramelized apple porridge with cinnamon and walnuts. So every weekend I do my best to satisfy my sweet tooth and spend a bit more time cooking a delicious breakfast, which normally involves either porridge or pancakes. Today is all about porridge and caramelized apples, so hooray to that! You need to do a bit of multitasking for this recipe as you have to cook the porridge and caramelize the apples at the same time. But it’s really easy and you can’t go wrong. Enough talking, let’s get it started
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- 2 apples (I used pink lady)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup oats
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1 tsp honey
- cinnamon to serve
- walnuts to serve (optional)
- Pour the almond milk in a small saucepan and place it on the stove at medium heat until it starts to simmer, approx 8-10 minutes
- Pour the oats over the almond milk, stir and let them simmer for a couple of minutes
- Add the honey, stir, leave for 1 more minute and remove from the stove. The oats will absorb most of the almond milk until the porridge will be nice and creamy with a hint of honey.
- Peel, core and chop the apples into thin and equal-sized slices to cook evenly
- Heat the coconut oil/butter in a saucepan for approx 3 minutes
- Place the apples over the coconut oil/butter, stir and let them fry at medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they absorb all the coconut oil/butter
- Add the maple syrup over the apples, stir and let them simmer for 10-12 minutes at medium heat, until the maple syrup turns into a caramel-like texture and your apples are soft, then remove from the stove.
- In a bowl, add 1/2 of your porridge, topped with 1/2 of the caramelized apples, cinnamon and walnuts which will make for a generous portion. You’ll see how deliciously sweet, creamy and filling this is!
This is a 2 in 1 recipe: breakfast and dessert in a few easy steps. Enjoy!