I’ve been loving this sweet, creamy soup ever since I’ve tried it for the first time, a few years ago. Since you blend all vegetables to get a nice, creamy consistency, you really don’t need to worry about the size of the vegetables or if you over cook them. It goes amazing with garlic croutons and it’s so light and delicious that it became one of my favourite dishes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 70 minutes
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 celery stick
- 4 small to medium carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 medium potato
- 1 red bell pepper
- 7 table spoons of olive oil
- 2l of boiling water
- 4 vegetable stock cubes (approx 10gr per cube)
Paprika to serve
- Peel the potato, carrots, onion and butternut squash; take the seeds out of the butternut squash and chop all vegetable into medium chunks. Don’t worry too much about their size as you will blend them anyway.
- Boil 2l of water.
- Put the 7 table spoons of olive oil into a large pot and let it heat for 2-3 minutes. Once the oil is hot ad all vegetables into the pot, stir and let them cook at medium heat for about 5 minutes with the lid on. Stir occasionally to make sure the vegetables don’t get stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the boiling water, stir and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Then add the 4 vegetable stock cubes and stir. Leave the soup to simmer for another 45 minutes until the vegetables are soft and ready to blend.
- Make sure the vegetables are soft by testing them with a fork. If the fork goes smoothly in, you can turn off the stove (duh!) and leave the soup to cool down for half an hour (or blend it straight away if you’re terribly hungry like I am right now!). Then season it with a bit of sea salt and blend it with your hand blender until it becomes smooth.
Tip: to make sure it’s smooth enough, taste your soup before washing the blender. Sometimes, small vegetable chunks are left unblended, which can be quite annoying. Just sayin’…
That’s it guys! Serve it with croutons or just some paprika sprinkled on top and you’re in for a treat! Enjoy and let me know if you’ve tried it by leaving your comment below
Health benefits: The butternut squash is highly rich in vitamin A, B6, C, E, magnesium, potassium and fibre. It decreases the risk of heart disease, cancer (colon, prostate), diabetes (type 1&2), asthma, obesity, while maintaining a healthy blood pressure, healthy looking hair and skin, and a healthy digestive tract. It prevents constipation, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels. Due to its high content of vitamin A, C and fiber, the butternut squash has also been proven to significantly boost the immunity of your body.
The celery is highly rich in vitamin A, C, K and potassium. It contains a large amount of antioxidants, it is considering to be useful in maintaining a good blood pressure level, in preventing cancer, treating joint pain and soothing the nervous system.
The red pepper is highly rich in vitamin A, B6, C, magnesium, antioxidants.
Olive oil helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
So, there’s your natural meds for today!